The 20 Bestselling Phones Of All Time. How many of these have you had? I had at least 5 of these
Linux (/ˈlinəks/) is An open-source version of the UNIX operating system. It’s kind of a big deal for Servers Mainframes and Super computers.
More than 90% of today’s super computers run on a some kind of Linux. Also many small devices run on Linux even if you can’t tell they do… for example the Android OS is based on Linux.
Linux is great, it’s powering most of the webservers for your favorite websites, since it’s free, highly customizable and very reliable.
That’s great, but why are there way too many Linux distros or distributions?
To answer this question we have to define the difference between Linux and other operating systems (Windows or Mac OS). Any operating system comes with a preinstalled set of applications, a user-interface and built-in drivers. For Windows, Microsoft decides what software they’ll have built-in to Windows and how the Window Manager (The piece of software that organizes the display of windows and dialogs on your computer) will work for this specific version of windows. Microsoft has the one and only decision in this, and there’s only a limited number of customizations we can do to the Window Manager (The Look & Feel of Windows), that Microsoft allows us to change, but those changes we have to do after installing windows.
For example, if I wanted my Microsoft Windows 9 to have WinAmp installed on it out of the box, I’ll have to request Microsoft to do this. They will probably say No, since Windows has that wonderful media player (That I never use). I also cannot ask them to change the color of menus from white to grey just because I like it better that way. Same story for drivers, I don’t use printers, I don’t need Windows to have HP generic printer driver because I have a canon driver but that’s so selfish.
Now comes Linux.. Linux is a kernel (the bridge between applications and actual data processing) and a bunch of free software packages. The flexibility of the OS allows me to choose anything I want and to customize it the way I want. As a programmer, I can fetch the code of any software that my Linux is using, modify it as I wish. Then rebuild it and replace the one installed on my computer.
I can add some new packages, remove others and modify packages as much as I wish. All that is left to do is create an installation disk (or ISO image) for my current OS and distribute is the way I wish (Of course there’s a bunch of licenses that I have to read first).
As software keeps updating to add new features or fix bugs, my OS will have to keep up with the packages I’ve modified or created to keep my OS up-to-date or otherwise it’ll be discontinued just like many other Linux distros. And if my OS was found great by some developers, they’ll help me with ideas, testing and code writing to keep up and add features to my own software.
This answers the question “How is a Linux Distro created” not “Why are there so many of them?”.
As I’ve explained, I’ll most likely base my distro on an existing one to ease the integration of software packages into my OS. I’ll also have to find a team that shares my vision and finds the OS I’m creating great in order to help me develop and maintain it. It’s not that easy to maintain and develop an OS.
There are few basic Linux distros that most other ditros are based on. e.g. “Slackware Linux”, “Redhat”. you check out this Linux Distros Timeline to see how many distros have ever been developed
- Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo."
- Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"
- "Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
- Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in "Monopoly."
- Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.
- It wasn't odd to have two or three "best friends."
- Being old referred to anyone over 20.
- The net on a tennis court was the perfect height to play volleyball and rules didn't matter.
- The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.
- It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.
- It was unbelievable that dodgeball wasn't an Olympic event
- Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.
- Nobody was prettier than Mom.
- Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
- It was a big deal to finally be tall enough to ride the "big people" rides at the amusement park.
- Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
- Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare."
- Saturday morning cartoons weren't 30-minute ads for action figures.
- No shopping trip was complete unless a new toy was brought home.
- "Oly-oly-oxen-free" made perfect sense.
- Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
- The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
- War was a card game.
- Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
- Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.
- Taking drugs meant orange-flavored chewable aspirin.
- Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
- Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
You know you Are an extreme redneck when:
- You let your 14-year-old daughter smoke at the dinner table in front of her kids.
- The Blue Book value of your truck goes up and down depending on how much gas is in it.
- You've been married three times and still have the same in-laws.
- You think a woman who is out of your league bowls on a different night..
- You wonder how service stations keep their rest-rooms so clean.
- Someone in your family died right after saying 'Hey, guys, watch this'.
- You think Dom Perignon is a Mafia leader.
- Your wife's hairdo was once ruined by a ceiling fan.
- Your junior prom offered day care.
- You think the last words of the Star-Spangled Banner are 'Gentlemen, start your engines'.
- You lit a match in the bathroom and your house exploded right off its wheels.
- The Halloween pumpkin on your porch has more teeth than your spouse.
- You have to go outside to get something from the fridge.
- One of your kids was born on a pool table.
- You need one more hole punched in your card to get a freebie at the House of Tattoos.
- You can't get married to your sweetheart because there's a law against it.
- You think loading the dishwasher means getting your wife drunk.
If all of these apply, then you're an extreme Redneck
Created by: OnlinePhD.org